Keep Track of Your Cash Flow Using Google Sheets


It's pay day again and every millennial is rejoicing! I wish you and I could have the paycheck that is more than enough for our family. But, we all know that nothing in life that's worth having comes easy. So let's start by sacrificing a little bit and use tools that will help us manage our cash flow.

My  boyfriend and I agreed to save more this year, hence the need to closely monitor my cash flow. It also means having to eliminate our planned trip to Phuket and Bangkok on my birthday. But hey, It's still early. We'll just see how much we have saved as my birthday approaches. Haha.

Last Tuesday, I spent an exact amount of Php 324 for transportation and Php 420 for food. If you compute those amounts, it's already 3 days' worth of my allowance when I was still in my first job. Maybe for some people, Php 744 is a reasonable amount for a fast-paced life in Manila. But I think it's more than enough for a day of an employee who's not married and is still living with his parents.

Let me share my latest discovery: the Google Sheets. It's not actually new but I just learned that I kind of like the look and feel of the available no-fuss templates. Use it if you are like me who do not like operating non-social media activities on smartphones like scheduling and looking at your to-do list I also prefer typing on my laptop and writing on my planner.

I love using Google Sheets because it's easily accessible in Google Chrome if my Google account is signed in. I use most of Google's services and extensions, from email to blogging, so it's very convenient to have all  the necessary tools placed into one browser.

MONTHLY BUDGET

The Monthly Budget template allows you to enter your earnings and expenses, as well as organize them into categories. You can only edit the Starting Balance, Planned column and Categories. For the starting balance, I sum up my current savings (not including long-term savings) and cash-on-hand. 


The Actual columns retrieve data from your daily transactions which can be found in another worksheet. It's ideal to enter the exact amounts so you can have the actual figures of your expenses and income.




ANNUAL BUDGET

I have accomplished another template which is quite similar to the Monthly Budget template. Before another month begins for an annual view of my cash flow, I will transfer all the actual data to the Annual Budget template to give me a forecast of my ending balance for this year. I am hoping that I will hit my ending balance figure. 


For the next month, just save another copy of the Monthly Budget template. Replace the Starting Balance with the End Balance value from the previous month. Then, keep doing the same thing across monthly budget and annual budget templates. Maybe the only downsides are: the currency is in USD; and, switching between templates. But those are just my minor issues. Overall, I like it as it is. The practice makes me decisive and strategic about handling money. It also makes me feel guilty to spend more than I make. I hope this tip helps! I understand if you don't feel like making this a habit now because it seems a bit tedious for a busy person working a 9 to 5 job.

Do you have any tips about money and career? Please send me an email or comment below!

0 comments: